Saturday 1 October 2011

What do your class do during registration?

In my first year of teaching, I used registration as an opportunity for children to have some individual reading time. This was a good use of the time and provided children with an opportunity to read.
 
However, I felt that some children were disengaged with it as every registration resulted in silent reading time. Over the years since, I have started to investigate what other activities could take place during morning and afternoon registration so that I am using the time to my advantage and the children engage with the activities provided. Here are some activities I have used:

Reading: I have not stopped using registration as a time for the children to read. I still use it a couple of times a week. Most days children sit and read at their desk, but this year I have instigated ‘Sit Where You Want Thursday’. On a Thursday afternoon, when the children come in from lunch they can take their book and sit where they want; their own seat, another seat, on the floor, just wherever is most comfortable for them to be when reading. In addition to this, I have also ensured I read a book of my own when the children are reading to model expectations. Both of these have ‘revamped’ reading during registration and provided a more enjoyable experience for some of those who don’t enjoy reading.

Boggle: Using Play Boggle Online I project a Boggle board for the children to make words from. After explaining the rules the first time the children can then carry out this activity without input on further days. It allows children to create words on their own level and provides an opportunity to look at spelling and vocabulary use.

Image Credit: www.fun-with-words.com

Countdown: I look in the dictionary for a nine letter word and write it jumbled up onto the board or put it in the middle of each table. The children can again create words at their own level, ranging from one letter words all the way up to seeking to solve the nine letter word. This also provides an opportunity to look at spelling and vocabulary use, while also discussing the meaning of the nine letter word if it’s new to some children.

Wordsearches / Crosswords: When approaching a new topic, I have used wordsearches and crosswords to introduce the vocabulary associated with that topic to the class in advance. I have found the puzzles engage the children in looking at and seeking out the words and then following up this with a discussion about what the words mean and how we can use them.

Thinking Time: Provide the children with an open task like ‘make a list of words that end with a letter g’ or ‘design a flag for our class’. Children complete these and then have the opportunity to share their ideas.

Take 10: During morning registration, take the children outside, or in the classroom in the weather’s not up to much and do some exercises to get them (and you!) ready for the day ahead.

Mobile devices: In the secondary environment this could be the children’s own devices. In the primary environment, if you’re lucky enough to have them, the children can use iPod devices or PSPs to carry out Brain Gym, times table or other suitable activities to allow them to ‘play and learn’ at the same time.

These are just some things I’ve come up with or acquired from others. I have sought to vary the activities I offer, while ensuring what the children are doing is of value to both them and me. Please feel free to comment on these or leave me your suggestions for other things I could use.

2 comments:

  1. I taught for many years in the UK and registration is part of the culture but it's only now I'm teaching abroad that I realise what a bizarre thing it is. Why waste time reading out a list of names? Why not just look around the class and see who is missing? I check at the beginning of every lesson and mark online those who are late/absent but it takes less than a minute to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school that I am currently training in splits the children into activity groups; Handwriting, Computers, Reading, Spellings and Nintendo DS Brain Training games. A register is never called (except for my first day where I used it to put faces to names). Pupils know that this time is for the activity and come in the classroom in the morning and get straight on with their tasks. It's a nice time to chat to them, hear readers etc without impacting on lessons.

    ReplyDelete